Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chemotherapy & Radiation....It's like Strawberry Ice-Cream & Pickles

Aluminum foil… and microwaves…

Honesty… and politics…

Julia Roberts.. and Lyle Lovett

Dictionary’s…and teenagers…

Cats… and water… (They REALLY don’t go together, but when it does happen.. it’s very funny LOL)

Children… and cancer…

Green Eggs & Ham.. (LOL –it totally goes in this list!)

So today is the first day of our, what I like to call “wrong paring”. I honestly think that doing either chemo or radiation is enough for anybody out there, and that its just wrong to do both at the same time. Medically is it wrong? Of course not, we wouldn’t be doing it if it was wrong or it wasn’t safe…. I’m just throwing a fit right now because I’m scared. It just seems like SO much in one day. I mean a day long treatment of chemo is enough for anybody … and then to ask them to squeeze in radiation? Just seems wrong, but its right- its just a lot for the mind to absorb, correction….its a lot for MY mind to absorb… we all know my mind works WAY different than most, this blog is an excellent example of that.
I’m having a hard time putting the 2 situations in my head together, chemotherapy & radiation- but I have a lot of problems putting things together in my head that I think should not go together, yet DO go together (yes, my personal opinions follows… please skip to the next paragraph if you don’t want to read my mental derailment),

*I don’t like meshing colored play dough with other different colored play dough they should never go together….

*I don’t think BBQ potato chips should be eaten with PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY SANDWICHES (*JUSTIN, I’m looking at you*),

*me & directions (got lost a few times last week with the so-called “directions”… whatever MAP QUEST! That was hard to find! Your “map” showed a straight LINE… LIAR! LOL)

*I don’t think Elmer’s glue and 2year old kids go together………

The point of my crazy ramblings is that even though I don’t think they go together, eventually they do- Justin eats PB&J with BBQ chips (nope, not kidding), I’ve seen plenty of 2 year olds glue in their mouth, hair, fingers & clothes… and I’m the only person on this earth that thinks colored play dough should not touch each other, which makes me feel like I’M wrong on that count… but things come together eventually (quicker if you have a 2year old with glue.. HA-HA)… I don’t think me and DIRECTIONS will ever mesh… but honestly every once and a while I get it right- except for last week, I finally broke down and admitted to Justin via cell phone, that I was hopelessly lost (I turned left instead of right & ended up in a different town- doesn’t everybody make that mistake?) and then finally Chemotherapy and Radiation… a very un-fun paring - kinda like- Freddy vs Jason ( ya know, Freddy Krueger & Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th scary paring!!!!) …. But the point being (yes yes, I’m making it) it’s a pairing non-the-less in our life, no not the Freddy Krueger thing *shutter*… the chemo & radiation thing…

Tucker did great- day 1 of 16, under our belts. His blood counts were great! He took the chemo great! I kept him on a steady dose of anti-anxiety meds today so he was extra loopy. I know you all want to hear about how the first radiation went… ya I can see how all my ‘blah,blah,blah’ about chemo could get boring.. LOL-

Radiation- nope I still don’t quite understand how it works or what it does, but we did it. They strapped on Tucker’s mask and lock him to the table… they (about 3 techs/nurses) get out their sharpie markers and mark all over his body… I think in August, when this is all over, at that time is when I’ll try to clean off all the black sharpie marks on him… until then, heck I don’t care.. Tucker here’s your own Sharpie… write your radiation techs a big message right on your stomach telling them what you think of it…. And lets surprise them tomorrow when they lay you out on the table and lift up your shirt…….. LOL, can’t you just imagine it? You’re lying on the table and a tech lifts up your shirt and he see’s this big message I HATE RADIATION, THIS IS NOT FUN- PLEASE BRIBE ME WITH CANDY- IT WILL GO SMOOTHER FOR BOTH OF US

Ok, I’m going to have to give that a try…. That was a brilliant idea! Man, I amaze myself. We ran into a couple snags today, but we got it done. It was quick also! Took about 15 minutes, I was surprised. His tummy hurts and he has a headache. Justin is taking him up tomorrow (Wednesday) for round 2. We have Tori, Karyn & John’s daughter staying with us now helping me watch Tucker, I’m very grateful. 
And I gotta wrap this up…. Poor Tucker has just started puking….

Love to all Amber, Justin and our strong kid….Tucker

Tucker at Chemo
Chemo
Tucker Getting Ready for Radiation
Tucker ready for radiation, but trying to forget about the big machine looming over his head...
This is the sharpie art work from the radiation techs today...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun.....NOT. Glad you made it through ok. Hang in there Buddy. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber you crack me up LOL you are an awesome mom and blogger. You have me hooked to this blog. I am officially a Tuckeraholic. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete