Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It Was a No-Make-Up Day!

Every woman can relate to a no-make-up day. You get up & out of bed, you get your kids up, you didn’t sleep good, you have a grumpy husband, the dryer didn’t dry all your cloths now they are damp & wrinkled- the shirt you wanted to wear was in that batch- your out of creamer for your coffee, the garbage didn’t get taken out, the dogs were out of food, your kid is extra grumpy and complaining that he didn’t get enough sleep, the dishes weren’t done, the floors not swept, there are fly’s in the house and I’m pretty sure I just threw a red shirt in with the white towels in the wash-DANG-.... I burnt the toast, and ran out of butter anyways…. No orange juice was left, yet the container was still in the fridge…..

TUCKER, take your pills…now I need to rush and….

Feed the dogs…

Feed the Tucker…

Take out the trash…

Kill some fly’s…

Comfort complaining kid…

Pet the whining dogs…

Check the time- DANG, were late!

Double check the oven, yes its off- rush out the door, get in the car… DANG, ran back inside, grab the kid…  (as if I could forget him… but there are some days..), rush back out to the car- got the Tucker, get in car- DANG- need car keys… RUSH back inside the house- grab the keys- out the door… time to rush rush rush…get half way to SLC…. And DANG- I forgot to put on make up
*sigh*.
It was a no-make-up-day for sure.

I think it’s a telling sign when you see a mom at a hospital with no makeup on, to take some precautions around her. Handle her with care and be cautious….
1- Don’t point out she doesn’t have make up on- yes we know.

2- Don’t tell her she looks tired, please LIE and tell her she looks wonderful

3- Its probably best not to approach this women at ALL just to be on the safe side. And for those unfortunate people who do have to approach us- do so with caution…. And with some chocolate- and please don’t make any sudden movements….

4- Don’t point out the big bags under her eyes (LIE TO US-BETTER YET, DON’T MENTION IT- that’s the safest way)

5- Don’t ask us how our day is going- if we don’t have makeup on- then it didn’t start out great and it’s probably gotten worse- it may be a better day if you have chocolate- do you have some chocolate?

Radiation this month has caused a lot of no-make-up-days for me. Its been a hard month of daily trips to SLC is just hard on us & especially on Tucker. It’s caused a lot of jumbling work schedules and radiation schedules and chemo schedules….just to clarify, Tucker is getting radiation done at the Huntsman Cancer Institute that is directly behind Primary Children’s Hospital in SLC. The Huntsman is a beautiful hospital, but- they lack the basic ability to STAY ON SCHEDULE. We have a scheduled time daily for Tucker’s radiation at 4:30pm. For most days we show up at 3-3:30pm just so we are not late, and they are ALWAYS running behind schedule! There have been days when he didn’t get seen until 5:30 or 6pm! One of the most annoying things is waiting- when you were on time, you were prompt- you were extra cautious and showed up early- and then you have to wait HOURS! Ugh! That just tick’s me off. Tucker has the patients of a 10 year old- so that’s “little to none”. At this point we only have 6 days left- and I CAN’T WAIT for this to be over!

Justin & I have been trading off days on taking Tucker up, I went yesterday, Justin went today- and its been working great.. Karyn also had a day off of work last week and she took Tucker up- it was a huge help. Tori (Karyn & John’s daughter) has been going up with Tucker almost everyday- she is HEAVEN SENT! She helps entertain Tucker & just listing to him talk & talk & complain, or plays games with him, or just bugs him- but even that gives him something to do- bug her back! On one of our long waiting days when radiation was like 2 hours behind- she sat and played UNO with Tucker for what had to be the worlds LONGEST game of UNO I’ve ever seen- I told them if the just both stopped cheating then the game might actually END… 

I decided to trade Tucker’s 4:30pm time slot for 8am, so I showed up at 8am yesterday (Monday) and they had us scheduled to start the 8am slot on Wednesday….. see what I mean? Its been like a scheduling nightmare with them every time I turn around! But the lady looked at me yesterday, probably noticed my lack of make-up, she offered me some chocolate, and promised to get Tucker right in.

She must understand the no-make-up-day.

On the bright side, this Friday is Tucker’s 11th birthday. He has been bouncing off the walls so excited. I can’t believe my baby is going to be 11! Time sure is flying fast. We are having a BBQ & fireworks party at our house on Friday and my guardian angel ANGIE SANDERSON has been planning the whole thing for me! –THANK YOU ANGIE! I COULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT YOU!!!!

I’ll take lots of pictures and let you know how it goes.

Love to all- Amber (yes, I have make-up on today), Justin (look out! He doesn’t have his makeup on today! LOL ) and Tucker- my almost 11 year old boy.

Tamy's Post*** It was a make up day for me and I still had a look that said *Approach With Caution*. Amber, Tucker and Tori came over around 9:30am and we decided to take a trip to the Living Planet Aquarium between Tuckers Radiation appointment and Chemo appointment. We loaded all the kids in the suburban, stopped by McDonald's to load up on carbs and caffeine and went to the aquarium. The kids had fun and it was pretty empty which was nice and the fish were being feed and were active which was fun to see. We had a little issue trying to get out without buying the kids toys from the gift shop. I was successful, Amber was not, lol. I believe Tucker left with a giant snake. Then it was back to my house where I turned into a Short Order Cook. I believe I made every kid including Amber something different to eat and boy did we eat. LOL. Tori and Amber ran to Target so Tori could get a Secret gift for girls camp and I helped her make it cute. Thanks for coming and hanging I really did have fun. Tamy, Aspen, Autumn, Xavier and Steelie

Tucker and Tori at Radiation




Xavier, Autumn, Tucker and Aspen in front of the penguins

Tamy & Amber we were trying to get a good picture

Amber and Tucker
Tucker, Aspen, Autumn, Xavier, Tori and Amber swimming in the boat

2 comments:

  1. I read this post and I liked it.....Does that work?

    Just kidding. Thanks for the information and ewww to the PB&J thing, I will not be trying that anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, you honestly don't need make up, you look great! Let me know if you need anything though! Much love,
    Kels

    ReplyDelete