Thursday, March 10, 2011

Go! Give it Up!

Tucker went in for a surgery yesterday as most of you know to remove his tubes. They had become infected and started growing nasty bacteria, so out they came. Tucker’s blood had finally “crashed” from all the chemo and he was at levels where he needed transfusions. So yesterday before the surgery he got a transfusion of platelets and then after the surgery he got 2 bags of the good stuff, good old blood. If any of you donate blood and you do it grudgingly or heck, don’t even do it at all, please think about Tucker! Tucker has got blood yesterday that some great person in Utah had taken the time to go to a blood drive somewhere out there and now it’s helping my son! It’s absolutely amazing to me to think that a complete stranger’s blood is helping my child feel better. There are a lot of cancer kids up in the ward and all of them need blood transfusions at one time or another, so please when you see the blood drive by your work or home, don’t drive past it, Go, give it up- you just never know who it could be helping.
Now the funny thing about getting a blood transfusion is think of it like a bag full of pure caffeine hook right into your vein. When these kids get fresh new “excited” blood cells and they are running through your body- its like drinking a VOLT mixed with cappuccino topped with a bag of gummy worms, followed by a ROCK STAR- shaken, not stirred, and here you go sir, 2 bags of straight caffeine, would you like fries with that? It makes them feel great. On our first go round with cancer I remember how scared I was about his transfusions, but my fear came out of not knowing- aren’t we all afraid of the unknown? But after I saw the dramatic instant affect of the best “happy pill” Tucker could ever have, I started to look forward to them.
We don’t have any word yet about going home. The nurses seem to think that it will be soon, but one thing I’ve learn is there definition of “soon” and our definition of “soon” are very different.
We got a nice little surprise in the mail a few days ago from my Grandma Bunny in Washington. She sent this big box full of seashells! They are beautiful! Thanks Grams! They made me homesick.. and it got Tucker excited to one day go see the ocean again. He thinks they are so cool and has held them up to his ear so he can “hear” the waves. Oh and she also sent a hat shaped like a bear, its adorable! I think this is her way of telling me to take Tucker on a “Bear Hunt!”…. you all know the song… Going on a Bear Hunt (repeat)…. I’m not afraid (repeat)…. I got my BIG riffle (repeat)…. And my bullets too… *singing* and the song goes on and on. It one of the best memories I have as a kid with Grams Bunny she would always take us on “Bear Hunts” and we had to go through the swamp… and over the mountain… just to find the “bear” get scared and run all the way home.
Justin is up with Tucker for these past 2 days, I’m just so at a loss for words to accurately explain how I feel about him. Its beyond wonderful, caring, giving, loving…its so much more. Him and Tucker had a big Xbox game day yesterday and played BlackOps for hours! They had a blast (they both told me that) and then I brought up Halo and they kicked me out last night because I kept dying, Tucker said “mom, even Lily (my 7 year old step-daughter) can kill you & is better than you!” Hey, I know I suck; all I can figure out to do is look up, look down, run while I’m looking down or up….. and get stuck in many corners in the buildings that are in that game. So I left my 2 boys up there deep inside a HALO challenge of killing aliens and saving the world or something like that. They finally pushed PAUSE long enough to say bye to me. I left in high spirits knowing that Justin is doing stuff with Tucker that I can never do and that Tucker’s needs. He needs that time without “mom freaking out” or me babying him every which way- he needs dad up there saying DO IT YOURSELF KID, YOUR FINE, HEY LETS KILL SOME ALIENS. Justin is my perfect opposite. Thank you honey, I love you.
That’s all for now, love Amber Justin & Tucker.

1 comment: