Tuesday, February 1, 2011

5th Day at Primary Children's Hospital

Today was pretty uneventful. Tucker is still having a difficult time walking so we opted for a wheelchair, he's having a hard time with grasping things with his hands but yesterday he couldn't hardly grasp anything at all, and today he grabbed the fork on the first try! That's important, right???? His slurring words are getting better, i think, or it could be i'm' just understanding him better. He got out of his room today and looked at video games and then did a fun activity. They had tiles for the kids to draw on and then paint there drawing. Then they will be taken to be- whats the word, heated? its like the pottery thing. Tucker made a cool design and then Joey & Tory showed up to help him paint it in. I can't wait to see the finished product.
I met Tucker's Radiologist today, Dr Poppy (or Poppins, I'm not sure) and he seemed like a great guy and is highly recommended by our oncologist. It was just a brief meeting in the hall way- just a lucky chance that we ran into him. Well the whole thing was odd- our Bear, Irish, kicked me out of the room and told me i needed to take a break- no wait he didn't tell me i needed to take a break he told me i was now going to take a break- now, so I did. Can't argue with Irish. So i took my forced break and walked down the stair way and on the 2nd floor i ran into Dr. Afifie (Dr Affie? not sure on her spelling) anyways she is Tucker's oncologist and she was just on her way up to talk with me and check on tucker. So we had a quick meeting in the stairway and as she gave me a hug (now picture this I'm 6feet tall- she 5ft nothing.. ) she glanced around me and saw Dr Poppy coming down the stairs behind me and she was very excited. So she introduced us and arranged for a meeting with him tomorrow at 1pm, the whole thing took about 5 minutes and then she shooed me on my forced break way. it will be interesting tomorrow to be introduced to the world of radiology, we never had to do radiation before so i know nothing. Tucker is not starting radiation tomorrow we are just getting to know the doctor and what to expect so when the time comes it won't be such a shock to us. They are thinking the radiation will start in 3 months give or take.
Karyn grabbed her kids right out from school and came right up here for some much needed Tucker/Joey Xbox time. That totally makes Tucker's day and mine. Thank you for coming.
I just had an interesting interruption during my email. Tucker got settled for the night just relaxing and watching Dirty Jobs when we got a knock on our door- in walked Scooby-Doo! Now its not what you think- in this full body Scooby-do outfit was a boy about Tucker's age with a mask on. He took the "scooby head" off for a minute to talk to tucker. He came in to offer Tucker a Almond Joy bar and to let tucker know that he loves Xbox and wants to play him. he said "hey dude, I'm your neighbor right down the hall lets play!".... OMG it was SO cute! So maybe tomorrow the boys can hang out. How special would that be to have a boy Tucker's age be his friend while he's up here? Although i was just informed that the kids are not allowed in each others rooms- all-well, I'm sure we can figure something out.
We got some cute surprises today- a big bouquet of balloons showed up from my Grams Bunny & my Washington family. They are SO cute. Thank you my Washington family. I love you all so much.
Also today we got a big box of awesome boy candy from my great friend Angie Sanderson. Now this was not your normal candy by ANY means- this had gummy worms that glowed when you picked them up, jelly belly with flavors like pencil shaving and centipede- it was just SO cool. The glowing gummy worms were the first thing to go. Thank you Angie- you have done so much for us. I appreciate all you do, I don't know how I could have made it this far without and I know you'll be such a rock for me in the coming battle.
Amber
Joey, Tory & Karyn
Joey & Tory with Tucker
Amber & Tucker
Tucker

1 comment:

  1. Tucker and Amber,

    Glad you enjoyed the candy, it sounds like it was so funny!! Amber thank you for your kind words about me on the blog, I hardly feel I deserve them. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. Hugs always, Angie

    ReplyDelete