Friday, February 11, 2011

Back to Work

As many of you know I’m back to –DUN, DUN, DUN- WORK… ugh! The 4 letter word that causes us all to have a little shutter run up and down our spine; Yes…. Work… the “W” word.
Honestly though work helps me clear my head and focus on other things- it’s really one of my saving graces. It gets me into “adult land” and helps me to not focus on the reality of my home situation. There is plenty of time to focus on my reality away from work- but work just helps me have that escape. Plus, honestly Justin and I can’t survive without both of our incomes- so there is that incentive.
I know people are reading this blog saying “Amber, we love you but we want to hear about Tucker” ok, ok- I know. Each day Tucker has progressively gotten better! Yes BETTER! It’s the little things that he could not do, as recent as 5 days ago- that he can NOW do! Remember how he was having all these problems talking? Well, that’s still a problem but its getting better! He can say full sentences (and we can understand what he’s saying!), he can tell me what he wants & needs without me having to guess- or try to get him (or me) to act it out as if we are in charades… can’t you just picture me hoping around acting out- DOES IT SOUND LIKE… or…. IS IT A PERSON? PLACE? THING?-YES A THING- ok… DOES IT SOUND LIKE- BBEEEEDDDD…? DO YOU WANT YOUR BED? No… DO YOU WANT A BROOM? No… DOES IT SOUND LIKE BROOM? No… but it starts with a “B”… k, so is it BEAR? YOU WANT A BIG BEAR? No… is it BUBBLES, BACON, BASKETBALL? Can you see why Tucker gets so frustrated with me??? I’m not good at this game. IS IT A BLANKET?? YES??? SCORE ONE FOR MOM!!! and I jump around in my short lived victory and run and grab him 5 blankets just so we don’t have to do this again. The good thing is it makes him laugh, oh how I love the sound of his laughter… and I’ll keep hoping around like a fool as long as I can hear him laugh. Things we do for our kids, right? At least I didn’t have to act out blanket… that would have been interesting.. not sure how I would have pulled that off, but right off the top of my head I think I would have used the dog and somehow tried to establish the dog as a “blanket” pulling it up to my chin… HA.. now that sounds interesting- I may just have to try that when I get home (even though we can understand him now).
My mother-in-law bought for us a baby monitor and we put one by Tucker’s bed and one by my bed in my room- so last night was the first night I actually got to sleep in my bed. The monitor was a life saver! It was perfect! Tucker would call out to me and I (after getting over the shock/terror of having him yell out) would go into his room- more zombie than mom- and help him with whatever he needed. The main point being I could go back to bed!
We had my step kids over last night and this is the first time they have gotten to see Tucker since this whole thing started. There were no kids allowed in the hospital. Lily tried to come up once but they made her sit out in the lobby. My kids were great! When I got home I saw all the kids willing and wanting to help Tucker! Jaired (our oldest) was trying to help him play a game on the DS (game boy thing), and then Jaiden drew Tucker a picture and Lily was fascinated by Tucker’s tubes. So I had the kids help me “wash” out Tucker’s tubes that we have to do each night, we flush it with saline and heparin. They were like Ooohhhh…. & Awwwww… when I pushed in the saline, if you pull back a little some blood will come out- it helped them to understand because of these tubes Tucker won’t need any needles- and I could tell this really relaxed Lily because she was so worried about needles and shots, but she realized the tubes won’t hurt Tucker and he won’t have any needles!

Thanks to Angie last night she sent over a huge Dominos fest! It hit the spot Angie, thank you for your support and your wonderful giving nature. I’m so blessed to have you as my friend.

More to come later- love to all- Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment