Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hair? Hair? We don’t need no stinking HAIR!

Why do bald-headed men never use keys?
Because they've lost their locks.

Patient: My hair keeps falling out. What can you give me to keep it in? Doctor: A shoebox.

Today the plan for Tucker was to give him a shower, but to first cut his hair. Tucker loves his hair and always wants it long, he loves long hair. I sat him down and I told him-
dude, ya know that icky medicine your getting? He said- YA-
I said, hey guess what… that icky med’s is gonna make your hair fall out. Remember Grandma from the other day, she doesn’t have any hair does she? He said, No.

I said Grams is getting the same chemo your getting and her hair fell out.

He said: Oh, k.

I said: Do you remember being bald the first time? You were only 5 years old. He said, not really.

I said: We need to cut your hair because its going to fall out and it will easier if we cut it super short and then it won’t be so bad when it falls out.

He said ok and then he walked into the bathroom and started combing his fingers through his hair and as he did that, his hand would come back with a bunch of hair….. it had already started to fall out. He held out his hand to me to show me all the hair…. And he just said “Oh… MOM… LOOOOOOK!” And I had to suck it up and look away… because it made my eyes fill up with tears- the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to keep positive with him and everything and anything that happens NEEDS to happen in a positive way. I can get upset later when nobody can see me- but right now I need to suck it up and be strong….. so I looked back and said OH MY GOSH, THAT IS SO COOL! Lets shave your head and then you’ll be “a-head” of the game!! HA HA HA… GET IT? A “HEAD” of the game!? He said: nothing (he was laughing from my joke!- I have awesome jokes). I ran my fingers through his thick long hair one more time and sure enough I got back a handful of hair… I just closed my eyes prayed to God to give me the strength to not break down and cry- I opened my eyes and said “LETS GET IT DONE SO WE CAN COVER YOUR HEAD WITH FAKE TATTOOS!”

So I shaved him & then helped him have a bath/shower. Got him all scrubbed up and clean and when we were done he was ready for bed. He slept the whole night through and when he got up this morning Justin went in to check on him- I love that man!
We have had Justin's kids with us this weekend and it has been such a BLESSING. I wasn’t sure how it would go- but they have been these little angles- anything and everything they can do to help Tucker out they do-before Tucker even gets done asking for something! They have each helped him in their own special way. Jaired is helping Tucker on the Xbox games and even at one point he got a Micky Mouse doll (there is a picture) and was making it talk and say silly stuff to Tucker to make him laugh, it was precious! Tucker was just laughing! Jaiden will run and get Tucker whatever he needs, a drink or treat- and is always right by Tucker’s side. Lily wants to play with Tucker, its funny- she wants to color with him and also be by his side (do you see the possible fight in the works here?). She just wants to mother Tucker to death, Tucker loves it and loves her- well, loves all the kids. Honestly having the kids here has help SO MUCH with Tucker’s “rehabilitation” if you will- they have helped him think, he has moved more, talking more- doing MORE. They are getting him up and going without even realizing that’s what they are doing. Tucker has just bloomed in the past 48 hours with the kids. Justin and I both agreed how much help & how much of a difference the kids have made this weekend. I truly and honestly believe that through our trials its going to bring us closer together as a family. Today is a BEAUTIFUL day! With Tucker’s new hair cut- and it just being so awesome outside we all dressed up and went for a walk to the park. Jaired rode his rip-stick, Jaiden rode his bike, me & Lily walked the dogs and Justin pushed Tucker in his wheel chair. On our way up the road we ran into our awesome neighbors Justin & Erin. They live only 2 houses away and they are the sweetest couple. They just had their first baby boy- who is adorable- but they just happen to be outside as we were walking by. They had not heard of what had been going on in our life so we filled them in and they were a little shocked. But Justin was so upbeat and positive and just kept saying Tucker can beat this again! You’re such a strong guy Tucker! Justin & Erin saw the camera hanging out of my hand and asked us if they could help? Maybe come to the park and take our family pictures? Well, awesome idea! So we walked and meet up with them at the park and got new beautiful pictures.
I hope you all enjoy them.

Tomorrow I take Tucker for round 3 of chemo. It will be more spinal tap (NOT in the RTU) and IV chemo’s. I think I have about 50/50 chance of him throwing up in my car- so I plan on being prepared; my car has its very own pink puke bucket in it. Hey, I HAVE learned from my 1st go around.

Love you all-
Amber

I believe this is the cool new popcorn popper.
Jaiden, Jaired, & Tucker
Jaiden, Jaired & Tucker



Lily, Jaiden, Jaired, & Tucker
The Family: Amber, Tucker, Jaired, Jaiden, Lily, Justin, Honey and Raven



The kids

Justin & Tucker


5 comments:

  1. Those are great pics! It's so special to hear how the kids are showing their love to Tucker each in their own way. What a trooper he was with the hair thing. Hair is over-rated anyway, right? Tucker we are thinking about you and praying for you everyday. So proud to have such a strong and inspiring little guy in our family. We all love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Glad you got some fun out of such a beautiful day! :) Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pics. It was a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics! Thanks for keeping us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say we think of you guys often and are praying for you. You're right that we have a choice to be positive and make the best with what we've been given. It makes us better people. You're a pillar of strength.

    ReplyDelete