Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Interview!

I got an amazing opportunity today to schedule in an interview with a very popular, in high demand- hard person to get an interview with……
Me: Mr. Tucker Ricker, how are you? Thank you for giving me this opportunity to interview you, you have a lot of fans out there.
Tucker: *giggling* Mom, you’re weird.
Me: You’re saying my interview is weird? Or is that your general opinion on Will Ferrell?
Tucker: What?! Mom, YOU ARE weird.
Me: I’ll take that as a compliment. Thanks! Now can you tell me about your day today?
Tucker: It was good.
Me: And…?
Tucker: That’s it. We just went to the doctors- Mom, you were there. Hey, I got my tubes un -clotted.
Me: Anything else?
Tucker: You know how my day was! You were with me the whole time!
Me: Tucker, this is an interview I have to do this professional as a 3rd party person-type way.
Tucker: What party? We are having a party?
Me: No I mean… never mind….. Let’s get back to the interview. What was fun about today?
Tucker: Nothing, well the only thing close to fun was watching the movie (we watched the Simpson's movie- always good for a distraction.).
Me: Anything you want to say to all your fans?
Tucker: No, I don’t feel good.
Me: Well I’m sure it because of the POPCORN you got at the hospital (POPCORN being CODE for CHEMO).
Tucker: Popcorn? No, I don’t want any popcorn.
Me: No I mean P O P C O R N *wink wink*… remember? The special “popcorn”?
Tucker: Mom, you’re weird (shaking his head).
Me: Thank you Mr. Tucker Ricker for taking the time to interview with me while on your commercial breaks watching the Simpson's, I realize your time is very valuable and I plan to offer you payment in the form of Lego’s.
Tucker: I get Lego’s?
*** And this concludes my interview with Tucker. Maybe I’ll try again another day when we haven’t had so much POPCORN…. Eeerrrr….. I mean, chemo.
Today chemo was fine. Like Tucker said we had to un-clot his tubes- that add’s on another hour to our stay. I hope he stays un clotted now, that really is a pain in the butt!! Tucker’s blood counts are pretty good. The doc explained to me that when Tucker started chemo he had very good, normal blood counts. Now when you start off “good/normal” it does take you a while to make your blood “crash”. So they were pleasantly surprise at his good blood today but told me it will eventually crash… any day now- I said “well good thing we are looking at the bright side?”. …… we had a different nurse today- have you ever had a nurse around your kids and your first thought was WOW, THIS PERSON SHOULD NOT BE WORKING WITH KIDS?! Ya, we had a nurse like THAT today. Now if I was a first timer mom (but I’m not) today probably would have gone a lot differently (I probably would have kept my mouth shut)- like… lets call her Nurse Growl- Now when Nurse Growl walked into the room she already had a scowl on her face (what’s that they say about first impressions???) but I gave her the benefit of the doubt- after she introduced herself to us I told her both of Tucker’s tubes are clotted.
She said : Ok, well I get a line started in his arm and we will get the meds up to un clot it.
I said: NO.
She said: No? (with this look on her face like HOW DARE I TALK BACK TO HER…)
I said (with a look on my face that looked like OH YA? YOU WANNA PLAY THIS GAME WITH ME? BRING IT ON) : No, we will wait for the meds to un clot it.
She said as she was backing out the door with a scow/growl on her face: No? But its just quicker to start a IV in his arm….
I said : Just because its quicker for you does NOT mean that’s what’s best for my child! No I will not have you start a line, just get the meds up here to un-clot them- and I know those meds only take 15-30 minutes to work (the longest time about this medicine is waiting for it to show up from the pharmacy). And she gave me this LOOK… this growl/scowl look and walked out of the room. SOOOOOO as you can totally tell, we “hit it off” and then it felt like every other time she came in the room she was in hurry and trying to not be there with us. I didn’t care, she could throw an emotional fit all she wanted, me and tuck just kicked backed and watched Sponge Bob. PLEASE REMEMBER PEOPLE YOU ARE YOUR KIDS VOICE! ASK QUESTIONS! IF IT DOESN’T FEEL “RIGHT” GET ANOTHER NURSE-HECK, GET 3 NURSES- GET TO THE POINT WHERE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE AND IT FEELS RIGHT WITH YOU. Today the biggest factor that came into play was I’m not new to this game, I know what’s up- I know what is going on around me and I KNOW what needs to be done and I know when a nurse is trying to cut a corner. Had this been my first battle with cancer today would have gone differently. But anyways- today is done. Tucker is home and he is “ok” (as you can tell from that riveting interview).
LOVE YOU ALL- amber & Justin & Tucker
















1 comment:

  1. You go super mom! Tucker is so lucky to have such a great mom like you!!

    ReplyDelete