Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Irish, Our Big Bear

I want to tell you a story- a very special story about a very special certain nurse that works up here. Now some of you a long time ago, when we were on our 1st round with cancer may remember me telling this story. Years ago one day Tucker was having a hard time with the meds- I’ll be honest with you guys I can’t even remember what the meds were or what we were doing- I just remember how tucker was crying and crying, he was just DONE with this whole thing (He was probably about 5 or 6)… anyways into the room entered this big 6’2 man, huge stature … he had a full beard on his face, and lots of hair pulled back into a long pony tail- and probably about 40 plus years old…My first snap judgment impression of this man was: who is this man??? Surely he must be a Hell’s Angel’s biker?? This has got to be a joke! Maybe this is a “scared straight” hospital version? He’s going to come knock some sense into my child???Tell him all the horrors of what he would do to Tucker if he didn’t take his meds? Here this huge man- this big bear is walking towards me and Tucker with cartoon scrubs on and a stethoscope- no freaking way could he be a NURSE. He walked up to tucker got down on his knees and broke into the world’s biggest smile that I have ever seen! I mean this smile took up his whole face! I can’t remember what he said that day to Tucker but in no time he had Tucker calmed down, taking his meds, and laughing over a fart joke. I have never forgotten that nurse. He has intervened a few more times in Tucker’s past care and every time he showed up I was immediately calmed by his presents and Tucker just adored him. I absolutely believe to this day he is an angel.
Yesterday as Justin and I were waking up and getting going- In walked my Hell’s Angel, the big bear, Nurse Irish (yep, my Bear is named Irish!)! He had that huge smile on his face, with the same look about him. I almost broke into tears right then and there! I was immediately relieved and Tucker just relaxed in his presents. I told him I remembered him and I restated the story above and a few other memories I had of him. He didn’t really remember us, but he handles so many kids a day I would not expect him to. And honestly if the nurses up here remember who you are- that’s the sign that you’ve been up here way to much!
Irish is one of those nurses that is here for the kids, and if anybody gets in his way-LOOK OUT HE WILL FIGHT FOR HIS KIDS! He has this honey voice (in a big booming way- he just left our room walking into the room across the hall I could hear him yell WOW THOSE ARE SOME STINKY FEET COMING FROM YOUR ROOM DUDE.. and then he disappeared into another lucky child’s room) when he’s talking to tucker- and then has this straight no non since way of talk with me. He doesn’t ask me questions (other than the general, how did tucker do last night ect)- he tells me how its going to be. He is truly Gods gift to the kids in the cancer ward. He told me he has worked here only ever in the cancer ward with mostly only the “in-house” patients who need that extra TLC, for over 20 years. He will always be here, this is his life.
Each morning when we wake up we always meet the new nurse that will be on call. Nurses change at 7am, and again at 7pm each day. Right at 8am in marched Irish, our big bear, demanding to know how his kid is doing …he already knew because he had read the charts from the night shift- but you know what I mean, he’s got to hear it from Tucker.
So Irish, our Bear- this is for you. I don’t know if you’ll ever read this or know deeply my feelings run for you- you’ll never know how I feel- but Thank you for being you- thank you for being here- thank you for being our angel, again when you walked in the room this morning I almost burst into tears and all I could muster up to say was “I’m so glad you’re here, I’m so so glad you’re here.” I just said that over and over. He said he will be our nurse for the next couple days. He told me today he is going to “school me” on what's coming up and what’s to be expected… I’m sure he’ll be a hard teacher, but I wouldn’t want it any other way with anybody else.
Here is a picture of Irish our Bear with Tucker.

5 comments:

  1. He sounds like a real sweetheart! I'm so thankful you have him too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a little secret...his real name is Fred. I am Tammy's friend and I worked at PCMC for 13 years, and with Irish for a good portion of that time. Irish is a good man and everyone's best friend. He does an outstanding job with all the little kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tucker-
    I can't wait until you are back at school. It's not the same without you. Here is a joke for you -
    What is a prehistoric monster called when it sleeps? A Dinosnore!
    See you soon-
    Braxton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tucker! I hope u r felling better! I hered this joke the on toon town the other night- What is it called if u keep seeing talking animals? Disney Spells!!

    Love,
    Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the sweetest story in the whole world. It makes me happy to know there are such wonderful nurses out there who can truly make a great, lasting impression on Tucker. I love you all so much and can't believe you have to endure this yet again, but know that I'm sending prayers, thoughts, and love your way :)

    ReplyDelete